Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pin

For your information, today is Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, an annual event in which everyone around the world is encouraged to make some lensless photographs. It is pretty late now (I spent most of the day fixing my shower*) so I probably won't get out today to do any photographing. However, I did enter a pinhole photography contest and exhibition which is opening today at the Center for Alternative Photography in Goa, India. My shots didn't win any of the prizes, or even make it into the final jurying session, but that's OK. I'm still being exhibited in India which is pretty awesome. Next year, if I get it together, I'm hoping to lead a pinhole photography workshop.

*My shower has been leaking at the cold handle for several months. I've been meaning to fix it but I thought it might be a fairly big job and I didn't want to start on it unless I knew I'd have enough time to finish. This morning, the cold water refused to shut off regardless of how hard I turned the handle, so I couldn't put the job off any longer. The shower fixtures are really old and I was under the impression that the replacement parts were unavailable, so I expected to have to replace almost everything. Pipes, fixture, handles, head, everything. Just to make sure, I pulled the cold water cartridge out and took it to Lowes. When comparing it to the cartridges in the store, I discovered one that looked like it would be a pretty good match so I bought a pair of them. Once installed, everything seemed fine so I turned on the water main. It didn't work. Water just kept pouring out of the shower head. I tried a bunch of other things, like adding a second washer to the shut off, but nothing was working. Just before I started tearing out the old pipes, I happened to turn the handle all the way in the wrong direction. The water stopped flowing. It seems that the new cartridge was opposite from the old one and just needed to be turned the other way to shut it off. So basically, I spent four hours working on this shower when I actually fixed the problem in the first ten minutes and just didn't realize it. Still, I feel pretty good about doing it all by myself based only on knowledge I learned from watching a lot of home improvement shows over the years. Viva la Television!

No comments: