Friday, July 24, 2009

Junk vs Broken Junk

I'm having trouble embracing the imperfections of these old cameras. In my heart, I love the soft focus and lack of precision. But intellectually, I want perfect crisp representations of the subject I initially shot. It is a battle in my brain that isn't over yet. Just when I was thinking I had decided to drop these junk cameras from my repertoire, my Bronica, which produces perfect, crystal clear pictures (like the one posted yesterday,) locked up. I don't know if it was something that I did or if old age just finally caught up with the camera and its notoriously over complicated winding mechanism. Luckily, I had a second camera body so I can keep using the lens and film back, but maybe I should take that break-down as an omen that I shouldn't give up on my Duaflex or Anscoflex just yet. Those cameras are unprecise, but their simplicity makes the likleyhood of them breaking down very, very small.

No comments: